Sunday, July 20, 2008

Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board

Here is an interesting letter I received today about my previous campaign:

"The attached documents were sent into the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board as they did not contain a "paid for by" attribution statement as required by Iowa Code section 68A.405.

At this point I would appreciate your written response to the following:

1. Did you pay for the costs of these materials?
2. If not, do you know the name and address of who did?
3. Is there any other response you would like to make to help resolve this matter?

...here is where it gets interesting...

At this point you are under no obligation to provide a response. If you prefer, I can seek a subpoena to obtain testimony or documents. If you do choose to respond, please be aware that the Board will review any such response when making determinations concerning this matter. I would appreciate your response or a statement that you prefer I seek a subpoena on or before August 7, 2008."

---------------

Apparently someone paid for a mailing in my name that was sent to Cedar Falls, Iowa voters. I did have a pamphlet that I had made with the help of campaign donations, it had the "appropriate insignia" on it.

Apparently people aren't allowed to practice the freedom of expression..."to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used."

Now granted I knew about the campaign disclosure laws, and had followed them. I am just kind of mad that some independent citizen or organization spent there hard earned money on dispensing a message, their message to fellow citizens.

If I know who it was I am supposed to cry foul to the state government.

Bah hum bug.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liberty Republicans,

My organization - the Sam Adams Alliance - is planning a new media event for libertarians and conservatives this Saturday, October 18th, in Des Moines, Iowa. If you are interested in participating in the event - or know other individuals who would be - please email me at nic@samdamsalliance.org for more information. As one of Iowa's premiere liberty-oriented blogger, we'd love to have you and other like yourself. Thank you.

Nic Hall
Sam Adams Alliance

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!