Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Long Run is Really....Long

I endorse the goal of this blog, and its readers, and am glad to be included.

As a recovering Republican myself, I can understand the attraction of saving the GOP from itself.

I worked in the first Reagan administration, at the Federal Trade Commission, for Wendy Gram, wife of then-Senataor Phil Gram (R-TX). We worked on deregulation and costs of taxes.

Before that, I worked for Murray Weidenbaum, in the Center for Study of American Business. We came up with estimates of the total costs of regulations on the U.S. economy, and a variety of other pro-market topics.

More recently, I testified in the US Sentate, at the invitation of Senator Mitch McConnell, against McCain-Feingold.

In short, I have been in the trenches working for the Republican Party, and what it SAID it believed in, for the first two decades of my professional life. In the long run, maybe the Republican party will come back towards some of its roots.

But....the long run is long. I appreciate the fact that Paige asked me to contribute here. My role, as I'm sure is clear, is to stir things up a bit and ask questions. I understand that some of you may get upset, and have sharp responses. That's fine.

Here's the thing: We are the sort of people that are going to have to lead America back to its real values, if America is to be led. The Republican Party has been hijacked. If there were more people like Ron Paul and BJ Lawson in the Republican party, I might be a Republican, too.

At this point, I'm certainly not. But let's have a dialogue, and let's learn from each other. And if I say something that you think is wrong, let me know about it.

No comments: